Different markings for an OY

Tony B

These old War illustrated are fascinating. found this one, a diffrent choice for a restoration?

Tony, these are OXC bedford 30cwt's;

Some more details about pic, shown, as follows............

'early in the war, HM Queen Elizabeth and others, donated a large fleet of Food Flying Squad vehicles to carry supplies to 'blitzed' area's.

The first convoy of these trucks was a gift from the Queen, who is seen here with Lord Woolton, inspecting part of a latter convoy, donated by the American Committee for Air Raid Relief to Great Britain. These convoys, known as 'Queens Messangers',included a water tanker,(on Guy Ant chassis), tea wagons, soup boilers and mobile canteens, the latter based on the bedford miliyary type 111-in wb 30 cwt OXC chassis and shown in illistration. These Bedfords had the standard military cab and early style (1940/41) front end but with the 10.50 - 16 tyres.

The bodywork was produced by Spurling Motor bodies Ltd of Edgeware Rd, London, and had internal dimensions of 102 x 72 x 69.5 inches.

The Queens Messanger convoys comprising in all some 150 vehicles, were operated by female personnel under the auspices of the Ministry of Food and were continually available for dispatch to distressed districts, where gas and water mains had often been smashed and electricity cut off;

In 1944/45 some of these vehicles were sent oversea's, for example, to the Dutch Island of Walcheren, for the relief of victims of the excessive floods'.

(the above taken from Bedford and Vauxhall Military Vehicles, Bart Vanderveen)

hope its of interest, :-)

A very interesting story , I had never heard of the group .

I guess none of the vehicles has survived or has one ?

Could one of these OYs be recreated like the Red Cross Clubmobile ?

Where there any books written about these relief operations ? While not as exciting as a combat unit some might say I m sure they must have had some close calls , delayed Bombs , collaping buildings .

A very interesting story , I had never heard of the group .

I guess none of the vehicles has survived or has one ?

Could one of these OYs be recreated like the Red Cross Clubmobile ?

Where there any books written about these relief operations ? While not as exciting as a combat unit some might say I m sure they must have had some close calls , delayed Bombs , collaping buildings .

:-D They Did,............Bedford OYC's were fitted with shop type coachworked bodies, many of these were operated by the Salvation Army.

A typical truck would have carried five 5-gallon Thermot Urns for making and keeping tea and otherdrinks warm, and two Kitchenhook stoves, burning petrol under pressure, to keep meals warm.

Many had sleeping accomodation, (basic) for the driver/operator in the front of the main body, with sleeping bunk in forward area above cab roof.

Details, again, from before mentioned book.

Andy